When a unit test bundle is built to be dynamically injected into a host app, Xcode performs a little dance at build time, in which it adds its own IDEBundleInjection.framework to the bundle, then re-signs it with the developer’s code signing identity.
Normally this all goes off without a hitch, but today when I went to build and test such a bundle, I was met with a rude code signing failure:
IDEBundleInjection.framework: unsealed contents present in the root directory of an embedded framework
I took all the usual steps when facing an obtuse error: clean the build directory, quit and restart Xcode, etc. Nothing fixed it, so I thought perhaps it was an issue with the 9.3 beta Xcode I was running. Nope. Same problem with 9.2. Finally, I made my own copy of the framework in question, and ran “codesign” against it myself from the Terminal. Same error!
This framework, stored within Xcode itself, has become unsignable. Running “codesign -v” against the framework in place also confirms that the code signing seal has been broken. What happened to my Xcode?
It occurred to me that I recently migrated from one Mac to another, and copied my Xcode when I did. I tried to use the Apple-standard migration assistant, but it failed, so I ended up using Finder, or ditto from the Terminal, to copy everything over. Maybe something was messed up in the transition?
The codesign utility is useful for letting me know that something is wrong, but doesn’t actually do me the favor of telling me what it is! Luckily, I have a backup of my whole disk and the original Xcode on that volume appear to have properly signed internal frameworks. Running a diff on IDEBundleInjection.framework between the two copies, I do see some reported distinctions. Where “.” is the current, misbehaving framework:
Only in .: .BC.D_QdfhyO Only in .: .BC.D_mgLUu2 Only in ./Versions: .BC.D_gSVCxT
These appear to be redundant cruft correlating to the expected internal version links. For every link like:
IDEBundleInjection -> Versions/Current/IDEBundleInjection
I have one of these unexpected garbage links. The presence of these links are, of course, detected by codesign, and it throws everything off.
I don’t know why these mysterious gremlin files showed up on my Mac, but whatever the cause, there’s an easy solution. I’m taking a leap of faith that I don’t actually want any of these files:
cd /Applications/Xcode.app find . -name ".BC.*" -delete
And now I can get back to unit testing my app.